Cities of the Future Grants
Grant Application Guidelines
Submission Deadline: Proposals will be accepted on an ongoing basis from Dec. 8, 2023, through April 19, 2024.
The release of the film Cities of the Future and its accompanying educational outreach program presents a historic opportunity to raise public awareness of the role of engineers in society, promote engineering as a career, and celebrate civil engineers' contributions to building a better world.
ASCE has designated a total of $50,000 in grants to support membership programs and public outreach activities conducted in association with Cities of the Future. Proposals up to $1,500 are eligible for funding. A short proposal and final report are required.
Funded projects must:
- Include the active involvement of an ASCE section, branch, or younger member group.
- Demonstrate how costs not covered by the grant will be funded.
- Be completed between Feb. 16, 2024, and Dec. 31, 2024.
Examples of eligible programs and expenses:
- Group ticket purchases or theater rental fees for K-12 students and teachers, community or policy leaders, or ASCE members.
- Bus transportation for K-12 students and teachers.
- Materials used for hands-on activities for museum, afterschool, or school-based outreach.
- Catering for meals or receptions held in conjunction with a premiere screening or an educational program that includes a film screening.
- Advertising and marketing expenses related to Cities of the Future programs in which ASCE is actively involved.
Not eligible for funding:
- Sponsorships, unless the proposal demonstrates how members will be actively involved with the program planning and execution.
- Expenses related to volunteer travel, planning or committee expenses, or other administrative expenses.
- Ticket fees for spouses or guests.
Proposal Selection Process
Proposal evaluation and selection will be made by ASCE volunteer leaders appointed by the Member Communities Committee, the Committee on Younger Members, the Committee on Precollege Outreach and the Committee on Diversity and Inclusion.
Proposals will be reviewed on a revolving basis. Notification of the status of proposals will be made via email to the submitter, along with the respective Section president and treasurer on the following schedule: Jan. 19, March 8, and April 19, 2024.
Funding priority will be given to proposals that, in the committee’s judgment, best support the goals of the Society (such as student retention or pre-college outreach) and have a measurable impact on the target audience. A conscious effort will be made to allocate funds among regions equitably.
Any funds declined, returned, or not allocated by May 1, 2024, will be used to fund eligible proposals not previously approved.
Cities of the Future proposals must be submitted electronically between Friday, Dec. 8, 2023, and April 19, 2024.
E-mail an electronic copy of your proposal to email@example.com.
Please note that no proposal is deemed received until the submitter receives electronic confirmation.
- Proposals from regions, branches or younger member groups/forums must be submitted through their respective sections, with section approval.
- There is no limit to the number of proposals that may be submitted by a section.
- If a section submits more than one proposal, it is helpful to the committee if the section prioritizes their preferences for funding, by ranking the proposals they endorse.
- Regions submitting proposals must demonstrate support from a majority of the sections in the region.
- Priority will be given to projects that leverage the Cities of the Future educational and promotional assets.
- All projects must be completed by Dec. 31, 2024, to be eligible for funding.
If you have any questions about the eligibility of a program, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or for guidance before submitting the proposal.
Proposals should be submitted on the attached form.
Reporting and evaluation
All grant recipients are expected to prepare and submit a final report within 30 days of completing their project.
Final reports should include:
- Receipts, invoices, or other appropriate documentation of expenses.
- A description of member participation in the program.
- The goal of the program and an evaluation of the program’s success in reaching that goal.
- Target audience for the program, the number of individuals reached, and any feedback from audience and participants.
- Photos of the event, samples of promotions, or media coverage associated with the program.